Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Secret Church 2011

Hi friends!

Last weekend was total craziness!  I worked all day Friday at the flower shop.  As soon as I got off work at five o'clock, I headed up to Birmingham! Ever read David Platt's book Radical? If no, you definitely should. Anyway, in his book he talks about having secret church in closed off countries. Twice a year Brookhills Church has their very own secret church.  We went up to B'ham to experience that. Definitely coming back to this with more details! I got home and in the bed, about five o'clock Saturday morning.  I had to be back at work at ten o'clock. Ouch! I was exhausted to say the least.  Worked until five that evening, and then went to my sister's fall festival at her school.  Sunday, supossed to be the day of rest right? No mam. I went to church Sunday morning, worked Sunday afternoon, back to church that night, and then choir practice after.  Needless to say I was ready to sleep in Monday morning. Monday morning, I was awakened at 5:30 a.m.  to be told I had to have my sister up by six, and get her to school.  No rest for the weary.  Oh well...that is life. 


Now...back to secret church.  Basically, it was seven hours of sitting and listening to David Platt speak.  Sounds like a lot, I know. Yes, my butt was a little numb, and my legs a little restless before it was over, but all in all I barely realized it was that long.  David Platt was an amazing speaker, and seems to be such a great man of God.  I want to share with you a few points he made. It was wonderful.  I highly recommend anyone near the B'ham area to go and check it out next year.  If you aren't nearby, you can link up with simulcast!

The four main topics were marriage, family, sex, and the gospel.

Just a few things we talked about...
  • God created men and women with equal dignity.
  • We all represent God. 
  • Man was created to exercise loving authority over woman.
  • Woman was created to extend glad submission to man.
  • Marriage exists for God more than it exists for you. 
  • God gives children to fammilies by His grace.
  • Orphans are easier to forget until you see their faces. They are easier to forget until you know their names.
  • We care for the orphans not because we are rescuers.  We care for the orphans because we are the rescued. 
  • Singleness has a purpose we must be careful not to waste. 
  • Ponder the external delight and joy associated with future salvation. 
Over 160,000 Christians are killed every year for their faith.  One every 5 minutes....Pray for them

No comments:

Post a Comment