Wednesday, November 2, 2011

26 schools.

Hi everyone :)

Yesterday, I seriously ran like a crazy person all day. I worked a bit, went to pick up a skull to study, went to Hamilton to the eye doctor, met with a man about going to the Pines, went to my sister's game, and then studied for a few hours.  If you read yesterdays blog, you know I did not get to a few things on my check list.  Oops. A gal can only do so much, right? 

After I finally finished all of that last night, I was wired.  I hate it when that happens, but what else is there to do other than catch up on some blogs?! I decided to write another Philippine story since I haven't written on in a while, so here goes...

Hope you enjoy!

BTEA is filled with highly competitive people.  More specifically, the Mississippi team is filled with highly competitive people.  This past summer we decided to give ourselves a little extra motivation to keep going, and have a little competition.  Ray said the winner would have a "special prize." Ha. 

The following morning we were assigned our teams, and headed out. Kelsey was on my team for the very first time on the trip. We were super excited to spend some time together...until we remembered our little competition. 
We quickly snapped this picture before going separate ways!
Please remember we were in a third world country, and excuse the nastiness. 
Kelsey and Pastor Teddy rented a motorcycle, and stayed closer to the city, and Pastor Steve and I headed up the mountains on the Jeepney. It was a WILD day. Steve and I literally were running from one school to the next.  Don't get me wrong, we were taking our time with all of the students, and soaking up every moment with them. However, we were not sticking around for any snacks after we shared the gospel with them. 
These were taken as we were traveling to our very last school.
I am not sure about the "park," but the rock was beautiful.  The view back behind this rock was absolutely breathtaking. 

The view as we were going around the mountain. 
Steve and I were so far remote we did not have any cell phone service to contact Kelsey and Teddy. We figured they were still getting schools.  Our goal that day was 30. Surely no one would beat that. Steve and I finished up school number 15 around 4:20 p.m.  The T.I.C (Teacher in Charge) told us it was about a 30 minute drive up to the next school, and they dismissed at 4:30 so it would be impossible for us to speak there.

We quickly ran to the Jeepney, and hurried around the mountain just as fast as the old blue jeep would go.  In the process, we were going through MASSIVE mud holes. Seriously, they were huge. Needless to say, Steve didn't brake at all. Probably about half way there we hit a hole, I come completely off my seat, hit my head on the metal top, and come back down and hit my ankle on the metal part of the door.  That little incident resulted in chipping my ankle bone.  Had I have told Steve the pain I was in, he would have immediately turned around and headed back to the hotel.  So, I screamed and cried inside and kept telling myself the pain I was feeling was nothing compared to the joy the kids at the next school would have after I shared Jesus. We finally arrived to the end of the road. Confused, Steve asked one of the villagers where the school was. He pointed straight up the mountain. I quit counting after the 500th step, but trust me it was much more than that. By the time we got there I absolutely could not breathe. Thankfully, the children were still there. They were more than happy to hear what the Americana had to say, so I shared Jesus, and they all accepted.
See the level we are standing on? There were stairs from that level down to where the metal roof building is. From that point down is where I counted the 500+ steps. Exhausting, but totally worth it. Look at those sweet faces.

As we were about to leave, a little old lady, who had also heard me speak, come up to me and said something like, "Thank you so much for coming all this way to see us. You climbed all those stairs, and I'm so thankful." With tears in my eyes, I hugged her and told her it was my pleasure.  I then asked her to please take a picture of me and Steve. She told me she had never seen a camera before, and did not know how to use it. I proceeded to show her how to capture a picture, and she just giggled.
I think she did a pretty good job :)

Kelsey and I did not reach our 30 schools that day, but we were still the winners! We beat all of our American friends, made it to 26 schools!

**
We went so hard, I had so much dust in my hair by the time we finally got back to the hotel that my hair looked solid grey. #gross
Read my other Philippine Stories here

No comments:

Post a Comment