Friday, February 4, 2011

"Welcome Home..." --Finally at the orphanage!

HI!
I am currently sitting under my gigantic mosquito net! It’s pink J In the room next to mine, I hear four boys gigging!  One of the precious ladies here fixed me some mixed fruit…so I’m having a snack! Haha. Its apples, apricot, and watermelon mixed with condensed milk. It’s awesome! I am probably going to gain so much weight here I am going to be unrecognizable! Haha. The food is beyond delicious!  I spent part of the weekend with Pastor June and Glenda. Glenda's sister and her husband have a little boy who were there to visit. Also, Pastor June’s best friend from seminary was there, and the student pastor, Mike. We had tons of fun, and lots of great talks! Church was great Sunday.  They were all so very sweet! Hopefully we will all become face book friends soon J It’s funny how that’s always one of the first things people will say to me here…”Are you on face book?”After church we went to this place called Tropical Hut. Somewhat like Jollibees. Sunday afternoon we went to the SM to shop for a mosquito net and toe medicine (I've lost all my toenails..can you say yuckkk?!).  Then, June treated me out to Pizza Hut. He said, “Emily, for the past two weeks you have been eating where us Filipinos want to eat, so tonight we will sacrifice eating rice for you to have pizza!” After we ate he said he thought he might die now because he had had a meal without rice! I’m pretty sure he survived! Haha. We left for the airport at 3:30 on Monday morning. Took us about 45 minutes to get there. June said we needed to be there 2 hours early. (He wanted to leave at 3) My flight left at 7...you do the math! Haha. I kind of thought he might go into the airport with me…but nope. He dropped me off at the front door..my first thought was oh shoot this is for real! I immediately had about 4 Filipinos attached to me trying to assist with my luggage. I found cinnabon pretty quickly after I got there! It was awesome! My flight was about 2 hours long, and I slept at least an hour and 50 minutes of it!


I arrived at the airport in General Santos a little bit early, and couldn’t find Ray or Burt. I kinda felt a little bit uneasy. Then, one of the security men said he would stay with me until my friends arrived. Soon after a gentlement come up to me and asked if I was with Bob Tebow. Then, I saw Burt! Ray welcomed me with open arms and said, “Welcome Home!” I loved hearing those words! We made a few stops on the way home at the grocery store, Jollibees, and the market. Had some pretty amazing boiled corn at this little place on the side of the road! There were no children here when I arrived because they were in school….but they arrived soon! It was so awesome to see them again! Alvin came running with open arms saying “Emilyyyy!” Ray said she told them there was an Americana coming but she didn’t tell them who for a little while. She said she eventually told them Emily and they all screamed back at her “Emily White??!” That made my day that they had remembered!

Today was really a blessing. The elementary had to go to to school, so I walked them. The high school was out except for the second year. They had a test. I spent the day with Miko, Jim Boy, Jestoni, and Alberto. We played basketball inside the dorm while it was raining, and then moved outside after the rain had gone. We also had an Ilonggo lesson! I’m definitely going to know some before this month is over. We had a lot of fun! Tonight I hung out for a while in the girls dorm. We had some fun talks. They helped me learn all of their names. Each time another girl walked in to sit down Rose would say okay now say everyones name including hers! There’s a new orphan here. His name is Don Don. He’s only been here a little over a week. He’s so cute! Little Bob has grown soo much! He gives hugs all the time, and is totally precious! I killed three spiders today. For those of you who know me well, know this is huge for me. I am terrified of spiders. Miko came running into my room wanting to know if I was okay. I think I beat them pretty good! I woke up this morning and saw a giant leezerd (spelled as they pronounce) on the side of my mosquito net. Thank God the mosquito net was there, or I might have had a "Parent Trap" moment. Ohh and today during basketball I somehow ended up with a giant worm on my leg. My first reflex was to slap it off. I’ll let you guess what happened! ……GROSS! Needless to say, there are plenty of "pets" around here. My room is in the boys dorm. They keep things very interesting! I found out today that I’m going to get a prom afterall ;) hahaha! The high school’s junior/senior prom is Feb. 11 and they’ve invited me to go! Just have to see if the school will approve it! Haha. I think it will be AWESOME!

They love naps around here! Today, they told me they take a nap everyday from one to two while the kids are at school. So I took advantage and came in to lay down.  It’s raining, and it’s a tin roof here so it sounds really peaceful! I"m so far loving my stay. Thanks a ton for all you have done, and all of your prayers. You are a blessing!
(From my journal February 01)

No comments:

Post a Comment