Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Soap Talk 02.15.2011

Hi!
At this very moment I am sitting on my mosquito net (literally on top of it, not inside), waiting for water! I need to shower so badly (i kinda made that sound like i stink horribly..maybe i do?), but of course we are out of water. This only happens about four times a day, and I still havn’t figured out the system. Actually, I think there is no system. Ilonggo lesson "Wala Tubig"=no water. Definitely a must learn phrase around here. I got to Skype with my sweet family yesterday, and that made me very happy! It was so great to see them, and hear their voices. The Internet at the place we go to is never fast enough for both parties to hear and see each other, so we have to sacrifice something. Yesterday, they weren’t able to hear me, so I had to type the entire conversation. It’s okay though, because I could hear them J I really cannot believe that it’s only two weeks until I see them again. That’s just craziness. I have so many emotions going on inside me right now. I miss my family and friends so much, and it will be a GREAT day to see them; however, I am NOT, ready to leave. In fact, the thought of saying goodbye to these kids absolutely makes my stomach hurt. I knew this would happen before I came. I knew I would get close to them, and it would be hard to leave them, but I never imagined it would be this hard. It never occurred to me that I would get this close to all of them. At this point, it feels like it will be impossible for me to leave. Please pray for me! In church, I have sang the hymn, “When We All Get to Heaven,” a thousand times. I have always known it had great words, but it’s just never been one of those songs that gets stuck in my head…until this past month. For some reason, I have this song on repeat in my head. It's just recently occurred to me why. It will be such glorious day whenever we all do get to Heaven. The truth of the matter is, no matter where I am on this earth I am always going to be missing someone. Whenever I am here, I miss my family and all of my friends back home. But…when I am home with all of my family and friends, I miss my Filipino family and friends. It's like part of my puzzle pieces are always missing.  But..someday whenever we all get to Heaven…I will be with everyone! Finally, my puzzle will be complete. My heart is so so so happy to think about that!


Around here, everyone washes clothes every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. While being here, Bekah and I are trying our best to live just as they do. To walk in their shoes. I think it's our actions that speak louder than our words, and the fact that we are willing to do as they do rather than paying someone in the village to do our clothes, speaks volumes. It always, always tears up my hands, but to me that’s just part of this little journey. As much as my hands hate to scrub my clothes three times a week, I actually enjoy it. I have had some of the best heart to hearts while washing my clothes on that little concrete slab.  Jestoni always tells Bekah and me, we look pitiful whenever we are washing our clothes. Not only because he thinks that we shouldn’t be washing them ourselves, but also because he said that we are the only Americans he has ever seen who squat down over our tub and wash our clothes like a Filipino. So….as weird as it may sound, I will miss washing my clothes whenever I go home! Just to clarify though, it's the time spent talking with the kids while washing that I will long for, not bloody knuckles.

We are really getting accustomed to the culture over here. Jestoni even told us last night that we had really become like Filipinas, because we could fall asleep anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment